Happy July, my wonderful readers! I cannot believe where the time has gone. In just two days, we will be celebrating one of my favorite holidays- Independence Day. Of course Andrew, myself and our friends will be partaking in the usual festivities. We’ve got a barbecue planned, and will be walking downtown to watch the city of Rochester firework show once it gets dark.
As with any of our gatherings, we’ll be feasting on grilled chicken, burgers, beer and wine. Though I love all the food, music and celebrating, this is one of my favorite days to dress up. Nothing shouts “Summer” like some red, white and blue does.
If you’re like me, you’ve been planning your perfect 4th outfit for weeks now. Here are just some ideas on what you can rock while you’re rocking out with your friends and showing your pride for our beautiful America.
You can keep it simple and still be in the spirit, by wearing this classic outfit. White shorts and a royal blue tank keep the outfit casual, where a flag-printed scarf or red headband dress up the look a little bit.
2. A white sundress with a skinny red belt and red sandals or flip flops.
3. Anything Nautical themed. One of my favorite summer pieces is a Charlotte Russe tank top I purchased more than 4 years ago. It is cream colored, and has ropes for straps. It is the perfect tank for any summer occasion: the beach, dinner, or just hanging out by a fire.
Pinstripes. These CAbi capris pictured above are not only cute and stylish, but very comfortable to wear in any type of weather. Paired with a red peplum top and some red ballerina flats, you’re ready for day, night, or even the office.
Stars and stripes. I’ve seen these patriotic themed shorts everywhere this summer! Both Walmart and Old Navy have several styles available in this patriotic theme. Or, if you’re more of a DIY girl, a simple pair of cut offs and an old flag printed bandana will do the trick! Just be sure to keep the top of this outfit simple, by wearing a solid tee or tank, in red, white or blue.
Into nail art? Just one idea for patriotic nails is shown above. I used Essie’s butler please, OPI’s the thrill of brazil, some glitter polish and a french manicure stick, all purchased at a drug store. Pinterest also has many ideas using crackle, acrylics and nail stencils.
7. Been to J. Crew lately? Though the fashions at this store are a bit on the pricier side, some really cute red and navy pieces are available. Skirts and tanks embellished with anchors are just a couple of my favorite items for sale at the store.
8. Polka dots. One of my favorite prints is one that never goes out of style. I bought a navy and white polka dotted shirt from Charlotte Russe back when I was in high school. It’s a perfect “go-to” item for job interviews, office wear, dinners, parties and a white skirt or capris.
If skirts are your thing, this cute red and white striped skirt is the perfect look. Paired with polka dots or even a solid top, this look is sure to turn heads no matter where you end up.
10. Maxi dresses/any other fashion item that you’re comfortable in. Really, the 4th of July is a day meant for pride and celebration. Even if you’re not into fashion, being dressed appropriately for the day is what matters. If none of these ideas work for you, just wear your favorite “feel good” outfit. You can never go wrong with a tried and true signature look!
Looking for more inspiration? Style Motivation offers 26 Amazing Outfit Ideas for the Holiday!